Thursday, June 29, 2006

QCTimes.comments hurt my brain

Reading the QCTimes.comments makes me want to bang my head on a wall. I need to stop reading them. In particular I'm talking about the large response to the proposed riverfront condos at the foot of Oneida.

Is there a reason those people are so much dumber than the commenters on the actual blogs? Even the "againsters" around here tend to make decent points, whereas the ones on the QCT "blog" just say bizarre things.

The site has a nice restaurant on one side, and a boatyard on the other side, and people are acting like its in an industrial park. Then they all "know" that people won't live there, despite Moline's riverfront condos showing evidence to the contrary. They somehow then make the leap that the City of Davenport will suddenly be on the hook for this private building. These are the same people who insist that everyone's moving away from Davenport, despite the fact that the population is slowing increasing.

Despite my misgivings about the location of the riverfront condo project, I'm under no illusions about its ability to succeed. All the condos in downtown are definitely aimed at the artist or young professional crowd, so I agree with the point the developer makes about that. They'll sell... I just wish they would move it 10 blocks east into actual downtown.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Conservative Demo here:
Comment here for the guy running the BRIDGE TO SOMEWHERE blog and about which QCI made a comment a few days ago.

I attempted to offer the below-quoted comment to your blog but couldn't because "this blog doesn't accept anonymous comments: please register"

Well maybe that's why so few of us comment on his blog.

Anyway, here's what I would have posted there.
Thanks QCI for the forum.
-------------
"Conservative Demo here:
Young Man, please _read_ my words over on QCI. My direct quote is:

"about the same one I am now) because I don't bother with sports and that guy seems to only talk about sports. "

Note I said, "seems to only talk sports". That implies that my _perception_ is that you only talk sports and we all know that perception becomes reality.

Whatever your actual percentage, it's not relevant; my reason for the comment was that QCI wondered aloud why more of us don't comment at your blog and which in no way was an attempt at getting you to alter what you choose to blog.

Best wishes to you for your blog."
-------

hoganj300 said...

I stopped reading those comments almost four months ago. The commentsidea was good at first when not everybody knew about it. Its out of control now. Now back to the condos. I can't believe on how small of a site this building is going to be on. I first heard about it on KWQC news at 10 and they showed rendering of the building and the site plan. You can watch previous newscasts on their website. If you look at the RiverVision plan, they really didn't look at this area that much.

Anonymous said...

QCTimes are depressing. As is the TImes staff for editing down or deleting comments they dont' like.

Anonymous said...

At least we know the Arsenal is prime real estate. Already has a golf course and gated access.