Saturday, April 15, 2006

Iowa City

I've been fairly quiet on this issue, mostly because I felt like everything was already being said on other blogs. I'm going to head over to Iowa City today and see things for myself. I'm hoping to park somewhere out of the way and walk into the area so as not to add to the gawker traffic jam that I'm hearing the city has become. Ambrose linked to this gallery at the official U of I page, and I think its the best and most comprehensive I've seen yet. And it doesn't require registering.

Looking at those pictures, I'm just completely boggled that no one was killed in this storm. Actually I'm fairly shocked that dozens weren't killed. As much bad as is being said about the party-loving students of U of I, they actually listened to the weather reports, and mostly seem to have taken cover. I would have thought that in one of the many houses they show collapsed, caved in, blown apart, etc, that there would have been a few people passed out, making out, studying, or getting drunk who wouldn't have been paying attention to the weather. Nobody had a brick wall collapse on them, or a 2x4 driven through them as they were driven through cars and buildings. Amazing.

Maybe Sauk Fox blessing that supposedly keeps Davenport tornado-free spread a little luck to keep Iowa City fatality-free during their tornado.

I'll post some pictures (probably similar to the million others around the internet) later today.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

If you are going to just look you have no business being there. Either on foot or in a car, stay out.