Thursday, March 09, 2006

Magic Snickerdoodles

This week's River City Reader has an article about Beverly van Hook, the author of the Supergranny series of children's books. She's going to be speaking Saturday at a Midwest Writing Center banquet at the Outing Club in Davenport.

The Supergranny series was one of my favorite sets of books as a kid, and I've been known to still read them on occasion. According to the article she has sold more than 100,000 of the books, which feature a crime-fighting senior citizen named Mrs. Oglepop. They are set in an area very similar to the Quad Cities, and include a book centered around a Ride the River style bike ride.

I'm not sure if these books can still be bought around here. I remember years ago seeing them for sale in the old Putnam Museum store, but I haven't seen them in the new IMAX gift shop. If someone knows any local retailers that carry the books, which I believe are still in print, let me know. I still have my copies of all 7, but they're looking a little worn. There aren't exactly a ton of children's books that relate to the Quad Cities, so I think this author should be considered a local treasure on par with Max Allan Collins.

No comments: