Monday, March 27, 2006

Any-Day 5th Street Traffic Report:

Blocked, as usual.

It took the poor guy about 45 minutes just to get to that point. The loading docks of that building were clearly designed in the days of 24 foot trailers and not 53's. Its not a far cry from that hallway scene in Austin Powers. I don't know if 5th Street isn't technically a street there, or if the business has some kind of variance for blocking the street on and off throughout the day, every day. Oh well, it'll be condos in a few years anyway.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Why doesn't the city do anything about these things? If this is a regular occurence as you say why doesn't the city fine this company and let them know their docks need to be re-configured.

QuadCityImages said...

Its literally every day, so I'm sure the city is aware of it. That's why I was wondering if there was some sort of special exemption or something. Fifth street does dead-end at Iowa, so its not hurting that much, but its always seemed weird to me.

Unknown said...

What is the plan for the condos that you had the link to the photo of? I missed that one. Is it Alexander Company's long-range plan?

QuadCityImages said...

From what I've been told, they already own that building. I am not sure if they plan to start converting it to condos after the Sieg Iron building is done, or if their plans have changed. Maybe I'll send somebody up there in Madison an email.

Anonymous said...

You can find at least fifty occurrences around the QC each day where trucks/commercial vehicles regularly impede traffic. The hazard at 5th and Iowa is minor compared to what I see weekly on Locust, State St. and Ave. of the Cities.