Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Must-Read Reader Article

This article in this week's River City Reader explores the possibility that all these negative ads we're being blessed with are partly directed at scaring off unpredictable or undecided Independent voters.
"Independent voters in this formulation are variables that campaigns seek to neutralize or eliminate. Campaigns have become less about shaping opinion - winning or changing minds - than herding people whose votes are easily predictable and marginalizing those whose ballots are not."
I'm not sure if this is really what's going on, but its definitely worth considering. As someone who is registered Independent, I pretty much agree that these ads disgust me with "both" sides and make me less enthusiastic about the 2 party system in general. They don't quite bother me enough to where I "turn off and tune out," by not voting however.

Besides, I'm a local politics guy, so there'll be no endorsements from me this November.

6 comments:

cruiser said...

I'm not even an independent and it's sure getting to me.

Anonymous said...

As the most frquent poster on the internet, My name is anonymous. I hearby endorse Jim Nussle for governer, Mike Whalen for the house seat, David Hartsuch for state senator, Jamie Van Fossen for state house and Barney Barnhill for Chief Dog-catcher.

Anonymous said...

I'm anonymous's sister and here are my choices:

Nussle - Governor
Braley - house seat
Hartsuch - state senator
Van Fossen - state house
Adamson, Minard, Golinghorst - Superviors
Bainbridge - Recorder

Anonymous said...

I'm Shabonie's cousin, and feel that Suzi Bell should be in a straight jacket for even thinking she could get elected to the Statehouse.

Anonymous said...

The Silly Hat Society throws all their backing to Suzi Bell.

Unknown said...

Independent middle-of-the-road voters are the ones most likely to vote on difficult issues, such as health care or job creation. If all those people become alienated and don't vote, then the only issues you need to worry about are the less-important fringe issues like gay marriage or flag burning. I'm not saying all fringe issues aren't important, but they affect way fewer people. It's disgusting how we elect people in this country.