Monday, July 24, 2006

It's been a bad year for people I used to know

Back in February a guy I went to high school with and used to play softball with, Darian Willette, was killed in a bus crash down in Peru. He was down there learning Spanish and teaching English in the village of Cuzco. I still get hits from people google searching his name.

In early July, Tristan Menzl, who I went to grade school and possibly junior high with, was killed out in the Heatherton warzone. I hadn't seen or heard anything about him in probably a decade, but it was still pretty sad to see someone from my past being killed that way.

Now this weekend I read about Michelle White being killed in the old Eagles parking lot in Bettendorf. I actually knew her pretty well back in my later high school years, and almost went to prom with her. We didn't exactly part ways in good terms, so I hadn't heard from her in years. I didn't even know she had a kid now, but that only makes it more sad that this child is orphaned for no reason.

While I started to type out something relating to crime problems in the area, which certainly apply to the Heatherton incident, I really don't feel like interpreting any of this. I just don't like seeing news articles like these, and felt like saying something about it.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bad year for people you know too, Bobby McGivern.

Anonymous said...

You must mean Bob`s wife and kids, and having to face the public knowing that their father/husband is a lush behind the wheel.

Anonymous said...

Some of you clowns just won't give up.

Anonymous said...

Hey 5:42, you are a class act. Real smooth, you idiot. I suppose you are perfect, right? Just stay inside your double wide with the other children and let the adults converse.

Anonymous said...

Sadly, violent crime occurs all over the Quad Cities, it is not limited by economic status or city boundaries. Let us be mindful to reach out more to any person we encounter with a gracious hello or sharing a kind word.

I don't mean to sound trite but reaching out in generosity of spirit truly does help others who might be having a bad day. Once a dear friend of mine comtemplating a violent action was able to chill out long enough when his co-worker asked him to lunch. That action interupted the process that was well on its way to happening.

Never take for granted your life or the gift you might bring another by simple being present ot them. Blessings to you QCI and your friends and their families!

Octave Thanet said...

QCI, unfortunately these things are often the first wake-up call to our own mortality as we enter adulthood.

I remember well myself when a fellow classmate and friend was killed in the Gulf War many years ago now. At a young age, it's much harder to contemplate that it can happen to people we know and people that are our age.

However, every bad thing that happens to us gives us the opportunity to grow a little in caring and compassion for those around us.

You already have a lot of caring and wisdom for your young age, so I have no doubt you will find a way to use these feelings of shock and mourning - and maybe even outrage - to give their lives a little more meaning through your own.

Best regards,
Octave

mommaponciano said...

Who are you? My little brother is Darian and Lord knows we miss him very much. Life has not been the same without him here. Thank you for your kind memories of him. Love Tiana