Monday, December 11, 2006

Monday morning assortment

-Today we've got another day of QCTimes articles about Quad City development-related topics. This article is a strange mixture of saying we need to attract new jobs and saying we need to attract new workers to fill old jobs that will soon be available as baby boomers retire.

-Yesterday, buried in an article about Deere getting a new military contract, we have this quote:
Olson said the contract does not translate into additional jobs at Davenport Works, which has already added about 700 employees in the past several years due to record high production levels and the introduction of several new products.
I recently talked to a Deere employee that was telling me about this. We both wondered where the news releases and media coverage have been? If a new company came in and hired 700 people, that would practically be the QC Development story of the decade. For some reason though, we've heard very little about Deere's recent successes. Its one thing not to pat yourself on the back, but when all we're hearing is doom and gloom, it would be good for the QC to hear about some success.

-That brings me to my next point, which could probably be an entire post in itself. Davenport and the Quad Cities as a whole do not sell themselves well. Over on AbsoluteDSM, when I mentioned that we had the first 3D IMAX in the state, many of the people from Des Moines said they didn't even know we had a science museum. Does the CVB bother advertising outside the area? Many people didn't know about the festivities that took place this weekend downtown and in the East Village. We should be showing off the Figge, the downtown housing options in Davenport and Rock Island, the skatepark, and all the other things we're doing. Getting people looking at Davenport is the first step in getting people looking at moving here.

-And finally, a link to a crime article from Time magazine. The article is about the crime wave sweeping Milwaukee over the last few years. Its not very reassuring, but at least it tells us we're not the only city dealing with large increases in crime. Here's a quote from the article:
If police are struggling to answer 911 calls, they have even less time to patrol neighborhoods, so they can't build the trust essential to preventing crime. Tensions between the city's African-American community and police are particularly high--40% of the population is black and 47% is white, but there are three times as many white cops on the force. As Alderman Ashanti Hamilton explains, "If the only time people in black neighborhoods see a police officer there it is to arrest somebody, then, of course, they're going to be nervous." Chief Hegerty says repairing this relationship is critical. "We have to count on law-abiding residents to tell us what's going on in their neighborhoods," she says.
Here's the link to the article. Its definitely worth reading.

-Ah, one more thing. Ian Frink is having an All-wards meeting Tuesday at 6 in St. Ambrose's Rogalski Center. Read about that here. I wonder why only Frink and Hamerlinck have blogs and regularly hold ward meetings.

10 comments:

cruiser said...

You bring up some excellent points. I believe there was a small article in the business section of the QC Times about Deere, but I could be mistaken. I also agree we don't advertise local events. When people here don't know what's goin on, how can we expect out of towners to know. And the Time article got me thinking. I've noticed some young banger wanabees with attitude problems lately. At first I thought, One in every crowd. But it has happened more than once and if this article is telling us what's in the future, I don't like it. The driveby shooting on 12th. off of Brady involved a 14 year old. Is that going to be the opening shot? I sure hope not. If this is going to be a problem, it's one we should start working on now.

Unknown said...

We do a terrible job of marketing. Not only should we market regionally (if not nationally), but we need to market locally too. Our own residents have to believe we have good amenities in order for good word-of-mouth to spread.

Regardless of how these things were paid for, I don't think many people on either side would deny that our amenities are good, if not excellent. On paper, I will put the Quad Cities' amenities up against any similar-size market in the country. But perception doesn't come anywhere close to being on par with that.

hoganj300 said...

QCI - Maybe if you read the Dispatch/Argus you would read about the great quarterly increases Deere has had over the past several years. The Illinois side hears alot more of Deere than the Iowa side. After I read that article about Fargo merging their development groups and Bettendorf saying we have a niche and were "different" it just got me even more angry that were not merging here. It seems that businesses pick and choose which economic development group to work with, either the cities, the chambers, or QCDG, so we have more duplication than I thought. Taking into context that you live there, you still focus and promote Davenport too much, and not looking at the Quad Cities as an whole, especially on AbsoluteDSM.

Anonymous said...

Barnhill doesn’t even know how to spell computer.

Dean said...

There are a number of elected officals that are cyber-challenged.

QuadCityImages said...

You're right about me being too Davenport-centric Hoganj300.

I can think of a few reasons for this:
1. Davenport is what I'm more interested in, although I'm also interested in QC and surrounding area developments. I don't have a vote in Moline, RI, etc.

2. I don't get the Dispatch, and their online policy is annoying. If a new project in Moline or RI isn't in the top 4 stories, and the Times doesn't cover it, I don't know about it.

3. Bettendorf is more private with their developments. I can't seem to even get people to send me artist's renderings of projects over there. I should try again though.

4. There is less going on in other cities? Bear with me here, but since Bass Street Landing and Stony Creek, what has gone up lately in JDCommons? Rock Island is working on what to do when the boat leaves, and I've tried to cover that, but what is the current project there? The trickle of downtown living projects coming online is important, but because its a constant slow process it doesn't get covered as much.

5. Readers seem to be mostly from Davenport, but this could be because stories are mostly about Davenport.

I'd love it if some folks involved in IL-side development sent me a guest post once in a while, or even emailed me a heads up about current projects.

QuadCityImages said...

Yikes man... his concerns were valid.

hoganj300 said...

I'm sorry for being so harsh on your coverage of events around the Quad Cities. The articles in today's and yesterday's Times, especially whenever Bettendorf would try to defend having their own chamber of commerce,really revved me up and go into attack mode. It just makes sense to me for consolidating the economic development efforts.

I have seriously thought about starting my own blog, but I just don't have the time to have an daily or even an weekly blog now. I will try to cover the Illinois side with some guest posts, but that's pretty much all I have time for.

Anonymous said...

Alderman Lynn Has quarterly ward meetings also at St. Ambrose.

Alderman Ambrose holds regular ward meeting.

These meetings are typically anounced during council meetings.

Anonymous said...

Alderman Lynn is a supporter of the Slumlords that are trashing our beloved city. He sickens me just hearing him talk.