Thursday, December 14, 2006

Davenport Library Stuff

One of the many email lists I'm on is the Davenport library's newsletter. Here are a few of the more interesting things.

-The Davenport Public Library is on MySpace! A 100+ year old library is trendier than me now I suppose. At least somebody down there is "with it" as far as how to advertise in the internet age.

-Quoted straight from the newsletter:
"FIRST EPISODE OF THE LIBRARY CONNECTION ON TV!
The PR Department of the Library, in cooperation with the City of Davenport Public Information Officer, has created a brand new television show to help keep you updated on the latest Library happenings! The Library Connection is a show all about the Library – including special guest appearances from Library guests and staff. Our first show was taped last week, and is already airing on Channels 9 and 18. This information is so new that we don’t have a list of air-times yet, so stayed tuned to eConnections for more info. If you like the show, or want to see something specific, send your comments to the PR Department’s email at: marketing@davenportlibrary.com"

- Someone has written an excellent entry for the DPL on Wikipedia, which can be found here. It talks about the history and buildings the library has had over the years, including mentioning how the Main Library was designed by Edward Durrell Stone. Stone also designed the Kennedy Center in D.C. and the Aon Center building in Chicago, which is one of my all-time favorite buildings. Again, good use of free internet advertising.

-And of course there's the library's new hours, which will be starting in January

3 comments:

cruiser said...

I haven't been down there since I finished my 48', but I think I'll see what they have on my truck. Those links make for an interesting read.

Unknown said...

I've been using the downtown library probably 4-5 times per month since Labor Day, usually for about 2 hours at a time. Their hours seem to mesh with my schedule better than Fairmount's for some reason. I see the occasional homeless person paging through a picture book, but I haven't had any issues with crime or safety.

Anonymous said...

LOVE YOUR LIBRARY