Monday, September 04, 2006

Rock Island Grand Prix

I went over to the Rock Island Grand Prix for the first time ever on Sunday. I'm not sure why I had never been over to it, but somehow its one of those QC events that I just hadn't experienced. I was pretty impressed, but it made me dream further about an actual Grand Prix style road race in the Quad Cities. I suppose its better to have one of the best kart races in the world rather than one of the smallest and least attended Grand Prix races. We'll never have something like the Grand Prix of Houston, I suppose. Overall I had a good time at the races Sunday, and I definitely plan to return next year.
Also, I took a 7 second movie of the karts racing past, but its annoyingly large, so I don't recommend anyone with a slow connection try and watch it. Also, let me know if embedding this movie breaks your computer or something.

Click the Play symbol to watch (Broadband only)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Conservative Demo here:

We attended when it was held every year on the campus of Blackhawk College, running on a mile-or-two road course laid out on the curvy campus driveways in the rolling hills of the bluffside Campus grounds. We enjoyed it in that scenic wide open venue, very reminiscent of the SCCA sport car events of my younger days.

Anonymous said...

Glad you ventured across the river and found one of the many great things that occur in the Quad Cities. An enjoyable day without alot of hassle or expense.

This is what is great about the Quad Cities, a community our size, we do not need large scale events and attractions.