Saturday, October 28, 2006

We all miss SoLo - Open Thread

I was tempted to post this open thread on SoLo, but I don't want to start trouble. I hope Ambrose Fulton is ok, and we should all wish him a speedy recovery from whatever he's dealing with.

Speaking of SoLo, Alderman Meyer has an excellent question/answer discussion with the folks at 605 Main. Its posted way at down at the bottom of the many comments on the last thread posted, which has turned into a giant everything thread. Check it out, as the responses from James Wayne of the Seventh Judicial District Correctional Services do a good job of explaining what the new facility would be entail.

Here's an image I snapped with my phone (hence the worse-than-usual quality) of a cloudy sunrise from the roof the other morning.
(I don't recommend clicking to enlarge this one...)

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

QCI: Don't you like what is in your backyard. It is an industrial clustermess and it looks bad. But, by golly I tell YOU that it is good FOR YOU. Don't you like me telling you what is good for your neighborhood? What is wrong with that? I after all know best.

QuadCityImages said...

It was there when I moved in, so I should have known what I was in for... and I did.

cruiser said...

The building at 605 Main is in bad shape. I think the best solution is to let Palmer make it a parking lot.

Anonymous said...

Conservative Demo here:

Interesting, with all the talk of the old motel building, I haven't noticed even one mention that it's the place where a cop shooting took place in the seventies.

Or am I the only old fart in the house?

QuadCityImages said...

I'm starting to somewhat come around to the idea, but Alderman Meyer had a good question when he asked why all these people were being released into Davenport. You have to wonder if downtown Davenport is really the best possible location to learn to be a model citizen.

Maybe I'll look for some stats of where the other halfway houses are around the state.

One good point the DOCS guy made was that most criminals wouldn't want to hang out and start trouble within sight of a building full of probation and parole officers.

Anonymous said...

I am okay with the project adn I live SOLO and I am active in the area as well as critical on occasion or our lack of planning, but I am concerned about one thing. That is, I am curious if these people are going to transported to Davenport or if they came from here. If we are opening up this town to more vagrant criminals, then this is even bad for those of you living NOLO too. We can't take it anymore. We just don't have the resources or will to deal with more low income non-working criminal types. We don't have the good paying jobs and we don't have the desire to assist anymore. We have our hands full with the people JLCS attracts here from across the state and even country. We have got to start planning better folks or we are in HUGE trouble.

Anonymous said...

To force a tax paying business to move is wrong. Do people not realized that this business could relocate outside of Davenport? That is loss revenue that Davenport can not afford to lose.

QuadCityImages said...

Which tax paying business are you talking about, the riverfront industries? If so, then yes, one is moving to Buffalo, and one is moving to West River Drive.