Thursday, October 12, 2006

The State of the Blog

The first post of the QuadCityImages blog was made on October 12th, 2005. It was around this time that one of the founding fathers of QC-area blogs, The Fly, decided he or she was going to go back to doing a 1-person blog. Colonel Davenport and I were downsized, so I figured I would spin off my own blog. I wouldn't have guessed that I'd still be doing it 400 posts and a year later, but I also don't regret doing it. I've learned a lot of things and met a lot of people who are all interested in making Davenport a greater city than it already is. One benefit of being non-anonymous is the ability to meet people in "real life" instead of just talking to them via email or comments.

I never really had much interest in how many hits I was getting, so I never added a counter to the site. My fairly unprofitable AdSense ads on the right side have a page that keeps track of things, including hits, so that does act as somewhat of a counter. Since adding the AdSense banner, I've had 62,912 hits. That certainly doesn't come out to the 1000+ hit days that Fly used to have when people got really riled up, but I feel that there are enough comments and readers to keep the blog interesting. We've all seen what happens when too many people comment, with the QCTimes' online comments.

I'm proud that you readers seem to provide much more intelligent discussion than the QCTimes and QCOnline commenters. I also do read every comment, so having 4 or 5 30+ comment threads can get kind of time consuming anyway. I'm also proud that I have never deleted a comment due to content, although WindingHills has gotten pretty close. I'm sticking with fully anonymous comments, even though it can be a source of frustration. Its the back and forth between you, the readers that keeps me going on here, and its been great so far.

Thanks for being good blog readers/commenters folks, and hopefully I'll still be around in another year.


QuadCityImages

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your pictures and perspective. Congrats on a year!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your first year. You're doing a great job.

Anonymous said...

Congrats.

hoganj300 said...

Congrats on keeping up with your daily blogs for one year.

Anonymous said...

Conservative Demo here:

Nice job QCI, it's been good reading and I look ahead to another year with you.

Anonymous said...

Who was so stupid to write a contract that would pay a full six year of pay for the Chief of Legal if the person is terminated after one week, in addition they would have medical insurance paid until they are 78 years old and in the event of his death the family would be covered until they are 78 years old. The value of that could be over a million dollars of citizens out of pocket costs. If they develop cancer and can fight it for 10 years, the cost of that treatment could be over a million dollars and the city picks up that cost since they are self-insured!

If it was Malin who had that contract written he is not looking out for the financial best interest of the city of Davenport and should be terminated for Administrative Mal Practice! Thus, for cause and we should not have to pay him one cent of his golden contract written by former Mayor Brook's!!!

We have had enough of fiscal stupidity. I can not believe that Mayor Winborn would go along with that. As a so call conservative Republican he should have more business acumen than that!!!! Especially since he has a Master of Business Administration from St. Ambrose. Maybe the MBA from St. Ambrose is not worth the paper it is written upon.

We need to get rid of these (spend thrift) Republicans and put in some Democrats like Phil Yerington. Our pockets might be still full of coins.