Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Why are golfers jerks?

I just got back from my first round of golf in 3 or 4 years, and have mixed feelings. I'm pretty terrible at golf but I had a few nice shots, which is the only reason I didn't quit years ago. I'm not going to say where I went, because I might do a "Where in the QC is this golf hole?" later this week, but I'd say 75% of the golfers we interacted with had bad attitudes. One group that seemed annoyed at how far one of my balls was off the fairway despite the fact that one guy in their foursome was an equal distance off of their fairway in the other direction. I believe we were the only group walking the course instead of driving carts, so we let people play through on several occasions, but even then one pair complained. I don't know how I'm supposed to improve my game if I'm not good enough to play anywhere.

Apparently these people were just born already good at golf...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good beginners courses. Redhawk, Credit island, Hidden hills, Olathea, Emeis. Your Palmer and Glenscreek are for more middle of the road skilled guys. I am going to guess you played at palmer, there is always a plentiful share of asses playing over there.

Anonymous said...

Why are bloggers jerks?

QuadCityImages said...

I've noticed that at Palmer Hills too, but I just chalked it up to my dislike of all things Bettendorf. Its a shame too, because that is such a beautiful course.

However, today's round was played at a course on your list of beginner-friendly courses. I guess there were only two groups that I felt were somewhat rude, but I posted this while I was still annoyed. Probably never a good idea.

Anonymous said...

That said I will guess Emeis. It can be at the upper end of the beginner range. I am a very novice player and I really enjoy Redhawk, beautifully maintained course and cheap to walk too.

Anonymous said...

QCI, I love golf and I'm an absolutely terrible golfer, but I had the great fortune of learning from a phenomenal teacher, someone who now only occasionally plays on the senior tour. He was most interested in attracting new golfers to the sport. Every lesson was a mix of history, the rules of golf, ettiquette and technique.

The one thing I remember most is that as long as a golfer understands and respects the basic rules and etiquette of golf and basic etiquette, no one else on the course who does the same will care. Anyone who comments negatively on someone's quality of play is a hacker, not a golfer. It's a game of personal integrity and mutual respect.

Here's Huck's golfing snobbery: a few courses only allow carts--I won't play those courses. I always walk because I enjoy the game more by walking. I get a much better feel for the conditions of the course and I make better decisions in my play. It's better exercise, too.

QuadCityImages said...

I had some lessons as a kid at Duck Creek, which as you would guess were heavy on etiquette. One or two of my younger cousins (who are already better than me) went through the Red Hawk school or program or whatever they have over there now, and it made me wish they had that when I was their age.