Tuesday, August 29, 2006

The Comeback Alderman: Keith Meyer

I decided that today I'd write a little bit about my own ward's Alderman, Keith Meyer. Obviously Alderman Meyer and I have different views on what is best for Davenport, and for the third ward. However, despite my early misgivings, I'm starting to feel like I have a pretty good Alderman representing me, even if I wish he'd vote yes a few more times.

Early in his first term, Keith made the mistake of writing and reciting a little poem. Honestly, I wasn't as offended by the slight racism of the poem as I was by the fact that this politician wouldn't know better than to read something like that. He was instantly marginalized by most of the council and the Mayor, and I figured he'd never recover. There was, however, a bit of a backlash of people that thought the incident was blown out of proportion, and who probably don't like Alderman Howard anyway.

Alderman Meyer also made himself popular with quite a few Taylor Heights folks when he blocked construction vehicles from starting early on the hated Cobblestone Terrace project. He won reelection against a well-spoken and well-qualified challenger, Bill Boom, in the last election, so obviously he has the support of slightly over half his ward's voters.

One of the best things I've been seeing with Keith lately is his presence on the blogs. He's practically an omnipresent force who people can address questions or comments to on nearly any thread, and receive a reply within a day. I know of a number of issues that he's worked to take care of after hearing about them on SoLo or other blogs. I'm not sure why he hasn't started his own blog, because with the time he seems to put in online I believe it would put Hamerlinck and Frink's blogs to shame.

During the recent Malin controversy, I felt he was making a valiant effort to separate discussions of who is going to sue who from discussions over whether Malin screwed up. However, there are clearly still people who don't take him seriously, although fewer than I would have guessed there'd be right after the Black Christmas poem. My only beef with Alderman Meyer lately has been that he can try to micromanage too much. During a recent meeting, he questioned Dee at length on various technical concrete/asphalt issues. While I applaud his passion to keep an eye on staff, at some point you have to trust your staff who have education and training in specific technical areas.

I suspect that as more residents move into downtown, and the 3rd ward demographic changes to include a greater number of younger urban pioneer types, Keith will eventually lose to a challenger who is more willing to invest public money in downtown development. However, until the population changes that much, he is absolutely representing what the majority of the people of his ward want. The people of the 3rd ward seem to want lower taxes and fees, and someone to keep the council and staff on their toes. I only wish that people understood better that most Alderman on both "sides of the aisle" are just trying to do what the people of their ward want, even if other wards may not agree. That's how our system is designed.

I may not vote for Keith, but I do believe he's doing his best to represent his ward.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Choose your words wisely WindingHills. QCI has an itchy trigger finger ready to delete your thoughts. :)

QuadCityImages said...

Almost anyone can run in the 3rd ward, because the petition only needs something like 17 signatures.

That said, I don't think I'd have a chance, unless Keith did something really crazy between now and then. I'm curious if Bill Boom is considering running again, but I haven't talked to him in months.

Also, it would make for a somewhat confusing ballot.

Anonymous said...

Boom is a control freak wu=ith a big head. He has pissed off some people who supported him last time. Meyer should run again - he will win.

Anonymous said...

I am not surprised that you haven't talked with him in months. YOu are disposable to him. He needed you at one time, but he doesn't now. He will start to come back around when he needs you for the election. He is self centered and selfish. He also is in with the landlord group - trying to make south of locust a free for all for the landlords. He will be re-paying them for getting him elected next time.

Anonymous said...

More money in downtown? How much more money? You are wrong. Unless we invest in crime reduction, there won't be an urban population worth a damn.

Anonymous said...

I've actually been impressed with Keith on several occasions. When someone is in front of the council with a proposal, he more often than not is the one asking the tough questions. Even if he ends up voting no, the important thing is that he drew important info out of these into the public eye.

QuadCityImages said...

I agree that what he does in questioning things is something that's needed on the council, I just think that there's a limit to that.

As far as crime vs downtown development, I of course want crime to decrease. In addition to directly addressing the crime issue though, bringing in more young people into downtown who care about the neighborhood will also decrease crime. Despite being within 10 blocks of the recent homicide, people are still lining up to move into the Davenport Lofts. Projects like that can expand the "safe" areas of downtown into the surrounding neighborhoods that have such a crime problem. Simply having people who care living in an area is a good way to fight crime.

Anonymous said...

It isn't enough in Davenport though, those people need to demand a change to how we maintain and keep crime ridden rentals.

Anonymous said...

QCI,

We all remember the picture of you and your butty at Mac's. Boom is done. He couldn't run for dog catcher. What I'd like to know is Meyer's biography has he ever worked any where? What's his education? What schools did he
attend? Why dosen't he have a Web Site? Help us out here, do you just have questions or do you have any answers?

Anonymous said...

Keith is the most educated and smartest person on the council. I whish him well and hope that the drag down of daily politics and the negative view of the restof the council do not affect him. Stand Strong Keith and stay the course!!!

Anonymous said...

Keith Meyer was home schooled for 40 years and lives on a small trust fund. He needs the $15,000+benies to get by. Jobs if you can call them that?

Anonymous said...

I can vividly recall when Keith Meyer ran a lovely health foods restaurant out of his home. He is also an artist and poet. Are those activities worthy according to you so-called critics? Is it illegal to be the recipient of a Trust fund? Some who have posted here sound quite jealous to me. Stick to the facts folks. Oh and do your research.

Anonymous said...

Meyer is a fucking retard, looks like the majority voted and would agree! Shame on you who voted for him