Monday, October 27, 2008

Fall Drive Images

Here are some images from a Sunday drive we took to check out the fall colors.

We drove up the Iowa side, taking Highway 67 all the way up through Clinton to Iowa-64, which we took through Sabula and over to Savanna, Illinois, where we took IL State Route 84 to Mississippi Palisades State Park.

I really like the 3 previous ones, because of both the scenery and my love of trains. They were taken from the Lookout Point overlook.

This is the bridge between the island town of Sabula and Savanna, Illinois.

This one, looking down the walkway towards one of the overlooks at Palisades, was taken by my girlfriend. We both liked it so much that I had to include it.

We came all the way back down Highway 84 on the Illinois side, which I hadn't been down in years. I was impressed with downtown Savanna, which I think was one of the neatest of the river towns we went through. The image above was taken of the Dutch Windmill in Fulton, Illinois. We were about half an hour too late to get inside, if its even still open for the season. As we got back to the QC, we stopped at Sneaky Pete's in LeClaire for supper. It was actually the first time I'd been there, and I was impressed with the place, the view, and the food. I'm also very impressed with what LeClaire has done with the downtown, but I may post more about that later.

Overall it was well worth the drive, especially now that gas prices are approaching $2 again. The crazy wind isn't helping keep the leaves on the trees, but I'd say that the fall colors should last at least another week up there.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

A picture of the girl friend mentioned might have been more interesting.

Matt said...

i love that area, and unfortunately have never taken a trip in the autumn. have you ever heard the album "Illinois" by Sufjan Stevens? on it there is a song about the Palisades:

The Predatory Wasp Of The Palisades is Out to Get Us

it's a very over-the-top ditty about being in youthful love with a girl, but is still quite nice. the funny thing is that i have a similar nostalgic tie to the place that involves following a girl up there for a campfire dinner date when i was just out of high school.

Anonymous said...

the reason that gas is approaching $2 is because its near the election

Anonymous said...

Thanks! Was one of my favorite routes to take to "see the leaves." Very few seasonal changes here in Central Texas - not cold enough (sorry) so I rely on others to give me my Fall "fix."

Anonymous said...

former iowa gal needs to learn how to spell before she returns.

Anonymous said...

the reason that gas is approaching $2 is because its near the election

And who, pray tell, has power to make it so?

Anonymous said...

Okay - educate me - what is spelled incorrectly?