Friday, April 11, 2008

2 minor construction projects

They're finally working on the Dillon Fountain, which I have a special place for in my heart because of its prominence in my favorite Quad City image. If you look closely at that image, you can see that even back then the fountain was very much not fountaining.

And in less interesting news, here's a picture I took a week or two ago of the new bathrooms at Garfield Park. These were the types that some wanted to use for Centennial Park. I'm not going to say that would have been the end of the world, but I think the pavilion that is currently under construction will look much better in "Iowa's front porch's" front yard.We'll see what sort of "bathroom humor" comes of this one...

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good old Garfield Park. I still remember being a youngster at the pool and some kid had a bowel movement in the pool and all they did was rope off the area for awhile. Then they finally figured out they had to evacuate the pool until the problem could be cleaned.

You brought up the toilets...

Anonymous said...

It's about time the City got to fixing Dillon Fountain. It hasn't worked in over 2 1/2 years! I think it had pipe or pump issues that were just ignored until people finally complained. I'm REALLY happy to see this getting back to working order, but it's rediculous it took this long.

QuadCityImages said...

Oops. I took the picture in the upper left of this page on 4/11/2003, so its been more like 5 years. Unlike what I said in the post, however, the fountain IS working in it.

So it stopped working sometime after April of 2003.

And as to moe's comment...

Gross.

Anonymous said...

Moe - the same thing happened while I was at Camp Abe Lincoln as a kid. I think some fat kid dropped a log in the pool.

Anonymous said...

11:36PM:
"I think some fat kid dropped a log in the pool."

Heh-heh, obviously not a Bix-at-Six participant.