Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Charlie

A guest post from the Fly:

You may recall the "Rule #3 Party" in 2005. In the unlikely event that everyone showed up, there was a protocal in place for me to out myself and it relied on Charlie. I wrote to him that I would edge up to him and whisper in his ear "How 'bout a beer, big boy?". Odds were, no one would beat me to that. When I suggested it, Charlie responded "You'd better not be a guy."

I wish I'd seen this coming and had had a way to whisper that in his ear. He earned it. I frequently didn't see eye-to-eye with him, but I think it was clear I respected him. He was certainly a guy you coulda had a beer with. Probably that's part of where the idea came from. Funny thing is though - never much cared for beer. To share a round with him though, it would have been worth it.

Charlie had his faults, but who doesn't? Truth is, he helped make Davenport a better place, just like everyone else who gets active and is motivated by public service.

Thanks, Charlie. Next round's on me.

F

3 Comments:

At 10/24/2007 11:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awwww, the original one..the King. I hate to admit it, but we miss you. Fly, I hope all is well with you. Agree, or disagree, I too will miss Charlie. He was good people.

 
At 10/24/2007 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Charlie was one of the good guys. He always did what he thought was best for this city.

 
At 10/26/2007 9:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How are you doing fly? Just count me as one of the few that knew your ID and understand exactly why you chose to disappear.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home